Friday, May 30, 2014

Texas Anxiety

Yeeeeehaw! Guess who's going to Texas next week!!!

The land of the steer! The Lone Star Steak! I mean, 'State'. Where everything is bigger! Where BBQ and Burgers were perfected!

I am goring for a conference. I'm excited for the trip but I'm anxious about the diet. I want to be good, but I do NOT want to miss out on the cuisine! "Trying the food" is such a huge and enjoyable part of traveling. Plus, I'm going to be dining out with folks, trying to enjoy the local atmosphere to the fullest, and on top of the feeling of sadness I'd get from denying myself that experience, being 'that guy' on a trip is way worse than being 'that guy' at home.

Friends, let's face it. The LAST thing on my to-do list in the Land of Milk and Honey-Mustard is to order the House Salad with the Dressing on the side.

I think I've come up with a fair compromise:

I promise myself that when I'm alone, I will stick to Paleo. I won't splurge on beloved coffee treats or cinnamon buns at breakfast. Well, maybe if it's something local and authentic and I'll never see it again. But on the whole, if I'm alone and I'm hungry, I'm going to stick to the diet. I even packed up some dried fruits/nuts/etc to take with me in case of emergency.

But when I'm out with folks and the POINT of the outing is to try something local and famous and delicious, I am going to live a little and try something new!

I think that's fair. I figure this way, I'll still be 50% Paleo at the worst. I think that's decent :-)

And of course... I'm going to kvetch about everything!

Woohoo, readers! See you in Texas!



No comments:

Post a Comment