Thursday, May 22, 2014

Welcome to being "that guy"!

I hear it all the time, that the first few days of this diet are brutal. I dunno. So far I feel.... fine.

Maybe hearing the rumor so much makes me wonder if I'm under-angry. Maybe the occasional slip-up keeps me feeling normal. I do know that staying on top of kitchen prep has helped a lot. :-)

Yesterday I almost had an angry moment. I was visiting a friend and she was having ice cream. She offered me some, like 4 times. I confess I had a teensy bit. I just couldn't take it! And only one spoon, I swear! Gotta tell ya, though, that spoonful curbed the impulse to kill. But still. Now I feel guilty.


I think part of the "I just started Paleo" anger stems from the feeling of isolation. So many snacks and desserts and meals are so ingrained in our lives, we don't even realize it. It's hard to realize it now and say no to it all. Some things aren't even that bad! Things like cheese or rice. I mean, come on! We're seriously carving out more than half the food pyramid here!

BEFOREAFTER

When I'm alone, it's not a big deal. But when I find myself out and about, that's when it happens... Someone generously offers me something, that -- let's be honest here -- was MORE than good enough for me last week, and now I have to say no. It stinks! I feel bad, they feel bad, everyone feels bad!

Food outings mean new sadness. No more burritos. No more pizza nights. No more rice pilaf on the side. No more fondue. (Ok, I had fondue, like, once. But still!)

What's worse, I feel myself becoming "that guy".


No one likes "that guy"!

Sigh.

Sigh again.

Sometimes at least, I get to not look like "that guy" even though I'm obviously having "that guy" thoughts. Example: Today there was a meeting at work. The lovely woman running the meeting enjoys baking. She brings in treats for these meetings, which, of course, is many kinds of awesome.

Today she made brownies.

From scratch.

The tin was right in front of me. The brownies hadn't even been cut yet. The smell of fresh delicious chocolaty goodness filled the room. The meeting started, the tray was passed around, and, thankfully, no one said anything when I didn't take one.

I felt happy. A little sorry, yes, but everyone else enjoyed them on my behalf, and I didn't ruffle any feathers. So, yay!

Durnit, now I can't stop thinking about chocolate. Technically the cocoa bean was around in caveman times, right? One thing about being on this diet nowadays is the ability to turn to the Google gods for answers in times of crisis like this... Because YES! I CAN HAZ PALEO BROWNIE!!! Oh, I'm so adding this to the experiment list...

Blessed be the entrepreneurial spirit. Just the prospect of experiments dissolves all anger!

I hereby declare that if I make any cool recipes of my own, I'ma put out a cookbook. I think I'll call it "That Guy's Guide to Treats" :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment