Friday, July 18, 2014

Let's Go Bar Shopping!

Everyone knows what it's like to be on the go. We all love the convenience of grabbing a quick snack, jamming it into a bag or coat pocket, and blazing a trail out the door.

Things like grab-and-go yogurt, string cheese, and breakfast bars just make life so much easier. Granola bars were my personal favorite :-)

You know, before Paleo...

Here's a TOP 5 Review list of some Snack Bars and Health Bars that used to be my friends, and where I stand with them now that I'm post-paleo-experiment.


#5 Quaker Oat Bars:

HISTORY:
I LIVED by these things! They were the best! I'd pop into CVS, stock up on the cheap, and not have to worry about having granola bars on hand for ages! I liked the variety packs the best.

NOW:
I read the label. Wall of chemistry. I ate my first one in a long time (since Paleo wouldn't let me near it) and the moment I opened the package, I regretted it. The smell hit me like a brick; the taste was so sweet it was bitter; the consistency was grainy and plastic-y... my taste buds rejected it immediately.

VERDICT:
Never again. Yikes.


#4 Nature Valley

HISTORY:
I discovered these when I started caring more about hiking and having healthy snacks at work. They were great! 200 calories at most, depending on your favorite flavor, and most of the ingredients looked normal and good.

NOW:
There's too much chemistry in there. Canola oil, four different types of flour, sugar, corn meal, and my personal favorite: "Natural Flavors". Gah!

VERDICT:
Sadly, I'm not going to get these ever again.


#3 Clif Bars

HISTORY:
I had these for every hiking trip, rock climbing excursion, and day out I can remember. It was my sport bar. A delicious snack for a gal on the move.

NOW:
Maldextrones and Sodiums and Food color 9 and who remembers what else... I'm so sad :-(

VERDICT:
I can't. There's more science lab refuse in these guys than actual food. :-(


#3 KIND bars

HISTORY:
When I really started focusing on healthy eating, just before starting Paleo, I came to hear of this company. My first reaction was "Wait, what? NO preservatives or anything???

I couldn't believe the ingredients list!! I, of course, fell in love!

NOW:
I'm still in love with KIND. Very few bars are Paleo friendly, but they're so delicious and made entirely from the good stuff, that I still think they're awesome.

VERDICT:
It's a treat, and I have to read each label, but yes indeedy, they are SO on my to-buy list.


#2 Lara Bar

HISTORY:
I didn't hear about this company before starting Paleo. So... there is no history...

NOW:
WHAT??THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!!! 100% REAL FOOD! YESSSSSS!!!

VERDICT:
Yes! Like with KIND bars, I have to read the labels, but I absolutely plan to have these around :-)




#1 Trader Joe's Fruit Bar

HISTORY:
Just as I was starting Paleo, I remember being worried about a Filming weekend that would have me away from fresh produce. I went to Trader Joe's in a desperate last-ditch effort to TRY to find something I could actually eat. They had these in the "we're trying these out" section.

I bought some. And was stunned. Each bar really only has two fruit ingredients. That's IT.

NOW:
They seriously only mashed up fruit and dried it into bar form. I'm in awe. And so happy that it's available.

VERDICT:
Aaaaaabsolutely!


So! There you have it! My personal review, with limited commercial interruption.

I'm so happy there are companies turning back to the rawest ingredients. I feel like I have more options. And, philosophically, I feel like I'm not the only one out there that wishes for more companies to create things like this. Supply and demand, right? Now I don't feel like such a "That Guy" in the stores anymore :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment