Wednesday, July 9, 2014

WHO AM I ANYMORE???

I went into a pizza joint and ordered a salad.
I went to an ice cream shop and had sorbet.
I went to a fancy dinner and DIDN'T have the risotto. (I really wanted that damn risotto.)

Today I went out to dinner and ordered a salad that had greens, beets, hummus, apples, corn, carrots and cashews in it.

I picked out the corn.

I ... PICKED... out... the corn.

Who is this person??? Ah!

Well, I'm the git that has 7 days to go until the 15th releases me from this tyranny of no burritos. I have one week left until I get to re-evaluate the core principles of how Paleo will fit into the rest of my life.

I miss risotto. I miss rice. I miss desserts at restaurants that have more than 2 stars. I miss burritos. No, you don't understand. I really really miss burritos.

A friend and I were recently talking about Paleo, and what to do after the 30 days. We both agree it's a heck of a difference in how you feel. Maybe even how you look. I think my skin looks better. Also, I lost 6 lbs.

The greatest dilemma any dieter faces is "to cheat-day or not to cheat-day". One of my buddies -- not on Paleo -- is dieting, and takes Saturday as his cheat day. I don't even know if I can say "cheat day". It's more like "complete and utter resolve annihilation day" or "letting loose the hounds of hell day". He rips into the nastiest unhealthiest -- I mean, he really goes for it! And heaven love him, he's strict the other days in the week, and he's already lost 40 lbs, so it works for him. That seems too extreme for me.

My Paleo friend says when her 30 days are up, she's going to stick to it, but treat herself to one cheat-day a week. I was telling her my almighty plan to split that over my week and do 3 cheat meals. Say, on a night when I go out with friends for beers and chicken wings. Or a day when there's pizza in the office and I forgot my lunch.

The problem with that idea though is self-control. Does it count as a meal if someone offers me cake and I have some?  What if I have pizza an hour later? Is that one meal or two? Questions that boggle the mind...

I'm still deciding.
I have a week left before I even cross that bridge.

Maybe my hell-hound-loosing friend has it right.

But I know myself. If I had a whole day of naughty fooding, I'd buy so much, there'd be leftovers... and then where would I be?

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Or maybe I should just have that damn burrito.



No comments:

Post a Comment