Monday, June 16, 2014

Getting Help

I'm being strict in my tracking, so it's technically officially day 4 of this challenge since I started properly COUNTING. I know I'm going to make it to day 30 (Goonies never say die). But even so, I had a nightmare last night that I broke my streak again.

I was out with friends and we went to a fair, there were tables set up selling and giving away all sorts of goodies. I was doing fine resisting temptation, but one table had gluten-free muffin/donut hybrid pastries that were coated with a nice sugar-glaze and someone pulled me into taking not one, but TWO of them. Gluten-free doesn't NOT mean Paleo, I knew as I took the first bite. I devoured both of them and immediately felt guilty for breaking the diet.

Worse nightmares have been had, right? But wow. I woke up feeling so relieved that it was only a dream!

Yesterday I was up in Maine helping my friend film. I was a bit nervous. Not about the long shoot, but about what I'd eat while I was there. I had to plan. I was determined not to break. 

So I packed a fruit bar (Larabaars have amazing stuff that really is Paleo, and Trader Joe's recently started making dried fruit bars that only have two ingredients. Both brands really have no preservatives. Just dried fruit.) and some pre-washed veggies for the road. It was an early morning drive, so I stopped off to get some coffee. I refused the temptation of cream and sugar and pastries and just asked for a large black coffee.

I felt very proud of myself :-)

My friend's mom cooked for us film hands. She took amazing cares. There were loads of goodies. Sadly, I very much felt like this:


Still, there was a lot to pick from and I didn't go hungry. I had an amazing baked potato with bacon, salt, and two types of green onions. I know that doesn't sound much without, say, sour cream or butter, but I'm telling you, it was it a real treat. 

(For the record, if it weren't for bacon and salt, I legit would have lost my mind on this diet by the second blog entry.)

A friend last week told me another key to actually succeeding in this challenge was to tell people that I'm doing it. There are impromptu sponsors to be had when you're facing temptation. If folks know what you're trying to achieve, they'll help keep you both sane and honest.

That's so true. It was pretty noticeable yesterday, for example, when I couldn't make myself a sandwich or have any of the amazing homemade chili. So I told my peeps why. I was really afraid of being "That Guy", but it actually made for fun conversation and I got a lot of support. :-)

I feel good :-) I have my goal and I have support.

This is going to be a fun 26 days :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment