Sunday, June 8, 2014

True Confessions of a Modern Nomad

Ooooh dear readers. What a ride this week has been!

So. The conference was a whirlwind of amazing feasts and broken Paleo promises. Here's a basic confessional of everything I ate this week....

Monday night (after my last entry):

-- For lunch, I went back to that "Place to get a Great Salad" place, which I learned is called "Leaf". It was amazing! And I did what I promised! I had a proper Paleo meal! Cobb Salad, no cheese, no bread, just olive oil dressing. Go me! Funny thing is I was able to eat the whole salad at once. I was hungry, yes, but I also think the lack of cheese didn't make me feel like it was a heavy meal.

-- For dinner, we went to Perla's on South Congress St. I had grilled Alaskan Fish, white wine, and a crazy amazing cream fruit dessert. I can't tell you how amazing the meal was. This was one of those super fancy menu places. And I didn't feel stuffed. It was perfect. Paleo-wise, there was a wine sauce on the fish, but that was the only rule that I broke for my meal. The dessert was definitely not Paleo, but it was tiny and really artsy and special, so I'm not even going to fuss about it! YUM!

Tuesday:

-- Breakfast: black coffee, apples. Great breakfast! I win!

-- Lunch: Ruh-roh! The conference had a sandwich selection. I went with a roast beef, potato salad and cole slaw on the side. siiiiigh. I even had chips. I don't know what possessed me to have the chips. *hangs head in shame* I felt a bit full, definitely not my best decision. At least it tasted good! :-D

-- Dinner was at La Condesa. We had amazing culinary delights again. Tapas style appetizers. I ate salsa, guacamole, cactus, octopus, beef, and a artisan sherberty fruit dessert. The whole meal was like eating art. This food wasn't cooked, it was designed. No, not Paleo. But not really unhealthy either! :-D


Wednesday:

-- Breakfast: black coffee, dried apple bars. Yay Paleo!

-- Snack at the conference: More dried fruit. Persimmons. Still being Paleo!

-- Lunch: Pasta buffet at the conference. Deeeefinitely not Paleo. (womp womp.) What blew my mind was how I felt after. This was the first pasta I'd had in about 3 weeks, but I didn't load my plate and I didn't feel full. Still, despite not overdoing the amount, I still felt SUPER TIRED. And I do mean tired. Sluggish. I had the 'itis' so bad.

     I drank 2 cups of coffee to try to make it through the day, but I still had the food coma worse than I remember in a long time. On this diet, I actually forgot what food coma feels like. Weird, right??? I was so surprised. I absolutely blame the pasta.

-- Dinner: Ranch 616. Straight up comfort food heaven. Food styles spanning from the Gulf Coast to midland Texas and further south. We ordered an appetizer plate the size of our table, on which we had samples of quail, frog legs, veal, beef, chicken, and a bit of cabbage and mashed potatoes on the side for fun. Yes, I said appetizer. I also tried my first Mexican beer, "Tecate". Me gusto. Me gusto mucho.

     So my meal was a steak on a bed of boiled potatoes in a butter sauce, topped with buttered crab meat with asparagus on the side. Super in line with Paleo! Though I can't be sure it's all Paleo, because I'm not sure what else was in the butter sauce.

     I was so full. What a wonderful feast!


Thursday:

-- Breakfast: black coffee, dried figs and banana chips. Go me!

-- Lunch: A couple friends and I went back to Leaf. I had the tuna fish salad with red wine vinaigrette. I think it's Paleo, because I'm allowed red wine and vinegar, but like the butter sauce, I don't know what else is in their vinaigrette recipe. Everything else was definitely Paleo :-)

-- Dinner: We found a cute coffee/sandwich place called Jo's. The kind of cafe that makes breakfast tacos and dinner plates. I totally went for it. Frito pie with pulled pork and fries, and homemade pecan pie for dessert. Followed by a beer or two. (*cou-THREE-gh*)



Let's be honest here, I wasn't even trying. Mostly because I just had to know what a "Frito Pie" was.



Friday:

-- Breakfast: black coffee and fruit.

-- Lunch: I wasn't really hungry today, I was running errands and didn't feel hungry until later.

-- Dinner: Southern comfort food care of Threadgill's. Cheese grits, collard greens, Salisbury steak and rolls. The Southern Last Supper. I never had collard greens and I only had cheese grits once ever, so I was dying to try. The meal was so rich and flavorful, I couldn't finish it all. Wow.


Saturday:

-- Breakfast: Coffee and an apple.

-- Lunch: Caught up with a friend for one last lunch before going home. We wound up going to Threadgill's again, where I had chicken livers and popcorn shrimp with fries. Again, so delicious and rich, I couldn't eat it all.

-- Dinner: Coffee and another apple. It was a looooong flight home.



What a week! I don't think I was very Paleo, but I did my best in my alone time. I came home to an empty fridge, too, so I'm going to need to food shop tomorrow. Today I spent part of the day with family, and, full disclosure, pizza may or may not have been involved.... sigh. *hangs head*

Okay, okay. Tomorrow's Monday. Monday, the diet starts again!




No comments:

Post a Comment