Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Swings of the Pendulum

Ooooooh, dramatic title! I feel like it could grace the cover of a Romance Novel or maybe a Grisham thriller....

ANYWAY.

Earlier on in this diet, I went though the phase of wanting to inhale everything under the sun. Now the pendulum seems to have swung the other way.

For the past 5 days, I've not been very hungry at all. It's the weirdest feeling.

Friday I ate 3 eggs in the morning, a pint of raspberries for lunch, some snow peas, and then some strawberries and a banana for dinner. I drank coffee and tea with honey. That's not a lot of food. I used to comfortably eat that much in one sitting.

Saturday, I ate pretty normally. 3 light meals - a strawberry & banana shake in the morning, chicken & peppers stir fry for lunch and again for dinner. (I was all about the chicken stir fry that day :-) )

Sunday, filming day, I ate very little but I didn't feel too hungry. I had some red cabbage in the morning, a couple carrots and a celery stick for lunch, a Larabar, a baked potato, a bit of tomatoes and peppers, and some snow peas for the midnight drive home. It's a lot of ingredients, but the amount itself could seriously fit onto one plate and have room left over.

Monday I had a bit more, 3 eggs in the morning, a steak (small -- I fried it for myself to take to work with me), and dinner was at a seafood restaurant where I had salmon and artichoke hearts. It was a very good meal.

Tuesday was scary. I woke up, ate nothing, rode my bike into work (6+ miles), ate nothing, drank some coffee, felt hungry, ate a small plate of mixed fruit, some water, long break of nothing, then Larabar for lunch - but I couldn't finish it in one sitting. I literally had half at noon and the other half at like 3. Then there was a salad and smoothie for dinner, after which I went kickboxing with a friend, after which I rode the bike 8+ miles back home.

And I wasn't hungry at all at the end of all that. Most of the time when I work out for 2 hours I feel like a food vacuum. Yesterday, nothing. Not the slightest pang of hunger.

Today is just as bizarre. This morning I had 2 eggs (3 is too much now), a handful of mixed nuts & seeds for a snack, and 6 small bits of sashimi for lunch. I know there's a light dinner somewhere yet to come, but I don't anticipate it being a big affair.

All I can say is WOW.

It seems a bit low in calories, which worries me. I'm terrified of triggering the starvation reflex. I think my total caloric intake these past few days ranges between 600-1200 a day... but I'm choosing to listen to my body on this one. I literally don't want to eat more, so I won't.

Maybe it's the summer? I can't be sure. I don't know what's going on, but I do know that I feel wonderful. I'm eating super clean and I feel fueled and happy.

I wonder if the pendulum is doomed to swing back to super-hunger territory again... I should squirrel away some nuts just in case. ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment